Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Round 'em up!


How many people can say that they get to enjoy this scene at work every morning? Well, the rangers at Antelope Island State Park do get to enjoy this scene annually, as they round the bison up to do regular "check-ups" (i.e., go to the doctor) and figure out which extra ones they will sell to keep their herd numbers to 500.

Luckily for me, I got to be a part of this experience as part of a CEU (Continuing Education Unit) experience at the NRPA (National Recreation and Parks Association) Conference in Salt Lake City this past week. For one whole day I learned about and experienced Antelope Island and it's round up, complete with eating a bison burger--which I do recommend.

I won't bore you with all details, but I will say I plan to go back to Antelope Island with my kids at work for a great field trip and/or camping trip. They do really awesome educational presentations, there is biking and hiking all over the island, bison and antelope abound to the point that I feel like I'm on a Disneyland safari ride, and you can even try out swimming and kayaking the open water.

And possibly my mom and I will try out it's nice sand beach and sweet, soft, rolling waves as we paddle surf.

All I can say is: I love my life!!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I love bison burgers too!