Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Defer



It's not my fault that I haven't been updating my blog lately.  I didn't even think about my blog until a few days ago.  After logging on, instead of reading my own stuff (since I already know what I wrote), I quickly went to my side menu of the all the blogs that I like to read.  And then I sat and read those updates for about an hour (or three) or so.  So much more spectacular than what I have to share.

I mean, who should be writing on their blog when there is nothing new and exciting to report? Nothing that will challenge the rival blogs out there.  So I defer.  Check out all my friends' blogs.  They have much more exciting things going on at this time in their lives.

However, as I don't have much of anything new to report (except that I'm going to Mexico for the first time, and on a cruise for the first time), or any updates (no Ultimate tournaments until March, I still have my job after layoffs at work, I'm learning a lot--and still have far to go--as I play on my ward's b-ball team, I'm enjoying my new desk, I'll be playing the piano and teaching in Church in the upcoming weeks, and I now have a gym membership that I have to pay for for the first time in my life), I guess I'll give you a little insight into the routine of my day.

I realize that much of my time has been filled with a few things that I have begun to give more priority: reading and watching television.  What I was giving my time to before that, I'm not quite sure.  But I'm enjoying these two activities much more than I have in the past, simply because of the quality of the content.  Christy and I are now on to Season 2 of The Cosby Show, which is even better than the first season, if you can believe that.  It's kind of like a night time bedtime story--one episode in twenty minutes, two episodes in forty.  And then we watch the weather before parting our ways to slumber peacefully.  

Once I'm in my bed, all snuggled up and comfortable, I read a chapter in the Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt--each chapter is only about seven to twelve pages long, and so it's perfect to end the evening.  I'm finding that the more I learn about our Church's leaders, past and present, the more I discover (or just recognize) they were ordinary men and women dedicated and focused on extraordinary things.  In short, they were humble, teachable, and letting faith pave the way before them.

So, as you can see, why would I have to have anything amazing to report?  Nothing spectacular, just purely entertaining and enriching.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

That was great. Spectacular, even. I loved it. Please, please keep writing, even if just for little old me.

Kari Jo said...

Ha! I love you, Mrs. Kristen Pereira! And going private on the blog may not be such a bad idea....

ARM said...

As I read your post, I was reminded of a time-honored truth: it is often in the simple things that one find the most pleasure...and peace. And I thought: "the people we see as extra-ordinary for doing extra-ordinary things round the clock must be tired at the end of the day...for sure, such ordinary things as slipping into comfortable PJs to catch a late night show on TV, or reading a nice book before going to bed, sound pretty extra-ordinary to them. For all I know Kari, you are an extra-ordinary person in between "extra-ordinary" exploits!

Dad said...

Keep on reading the good books and thanks for giving me an idea about what I might read next! (Autobiog. of P.P. Pratt)

Michael said...

I have a blog too. It is reddms.blogspot.com How have you been? It has been such a long time. I hope all is well for you.

Sara Redd

Jessie's Jargon said...

Kari! How did you find my blog? I'm so glad you did! You will be getting a homemade gift sometime soon, but don't forget to offer the same service! So as I read through your "defer" post, I was a little astounded by how much we have in common that I didn't know about. Ultimate... obviously... (I'm sad you aren't going to go to The Green Chili fest. Jeni asked if I would come! I'm going to miss you!)... I didn't know you like b-ball (my other love aside from ultimate of course).. I am also a piano player and teacher at church, I have a gym membership (do you go to 24?) and I LOVE the Cosby show. We have videos full of recorded copies off TV from my growing up years. ha ha... very ironic

Also, how would you be interested in joining a book club? :)