Friday, August 1, 2008

I Passed!

A while ago I posted a blog about the Jazz and the GRE, and the tough time I was having studying.  While I never studied quite as diligently as I was hoping I would discipline myself to do, I did go on ahead and take the GRE on Saturday, July 19.  

To throw some other distractions into the mix, just a week earlier the CEO of Provo Canyon School, my employer, decided to make a bunch of cutbacks and layoffs in order to please upper level corporate and save his little toosh.  As my mother can attest, I've never been so distracted or upset about something....my job was secure (for now, until he decides that recreation therapy isn't something we need and costs too much), but I was so disappointed and frustrated that the cutbacks weren't fair to the employees that I knew, weren't fair to the kids who needed the help and guidance of some of these people, nor was it fair that layoffs affected those of us who were still working and would thus be pulled in more directions to try and cover everything, and thus the kids were going to suffer as well.  Needless to say, I was very upset.  And I wasn't sure if I should take my test on Saturday with such distraught emotions.  I tried to change it, but I was past the deadline, and so decided I might as well take a shot at the test.

All I can say is that there was a lot of divine intervention in my behalf.  I was totally calm the day of the test, went in with some confidence, and was able to endure the 4 hour test with mind clarity and focus--that's a lot of help, I know.  I haven't received the scores for my written essays, but for the rest of the test I passed with scores that even surprised me--I scored 150 points more than I had ever scored on a practice test.  Talk about rising to the occasion!

Now, all I have to do is get into grad school to make these scores worth it....... :)

4 comments:

Pari said...

Congrats KJ - I'm glad to hear the test went well, better then expected even! What are your plans for grad school - Masters, Ph.D., - and where are you looking at?

Oh yeah, and p.s. - love the new background. ;)

Tricia said...

Mucho congratulations! I hope things get better at work...

Emily said...

YAY KARI! You smartie pants! I'm not surprised about your great scores one bit! You are such a smart, capable person!! Good luck with the essays, although, I'm sure you nailed those, too! I hope things get better with work...I'm sure they will. These things have a way of working themselves out, despite being frustrating at the time. Keep us posted on grad school!! GOOD LUCK!

Kristen said...

What the crap, Kari... you freakin' have a blog and didn't tell me. Well now I know about it and I will stalk and fake hate you. Gosh!